Another day, another restaurant recipe to copy. I tried “shrimp kisses” for the first time at a local restaurant recently, and immediately set about creating an at-home version. My bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with cheese comes pretty close to the restaurant appetizer, but of course food always tastes better when someone else prepares it for you 🙂
To start, peel and devein 10-12 shrimp, leaving the tails on. I buy big packs of frozen shrimp at Costco that come already peeled and deveined. If you do the same, then skip this step and just thaw your shrimp. You’ll want to make sure that the back side of your shrimp (the side that has been deveined) has a deep enough slit to fit your cheese stuffing. I use a knife to butterfly each of my shrimp after thawing.
Next, cut your cheese into stick shapes, making sure that you have at least one cheese stick per shrimp. Place a stick into the slit on the back of each shrimp. Holding the cheese in place, slowly wrap a piece of bacon around the shrimp. If your bacon is really thick, you can probably get by with only using half a slice per shrimp. If your bacon is thin, use the whole slice.
Secure the bacon in place with toothpicks. I like to use 2 toothpicks per shrimp because then I know exactly how many toothpicks I need to remove when they are done cooking. Using different numbers of toothpicks between all of the shrimp tends to leave you with some hidden picks when you’re ready to serve these bad boys. (And yes, I did learn this the hard way after a guest bit eagerly into a sharp toothpick.)
Place the bacon on a foil-lined pan and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown. Once it gets to this point, remove the pan from the oven and spread a spoonful of honey over each piece of shrimp.
Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until bacon is cooked throughly. Try not to let it get completely crispy; you want a tender final product.
Remove toothpicks and serve!
- 10-12 shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails on
- 5-6 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 2 oz pepper jack cheese
- Thaw, peel, and devein the shrimp. Slide a knife along the back of each shrimp to create a slit for the cheese stuffing.
- Cut the cheese into thin sticks and place one in the slit of each shrimp.
- Wrap each shrimp in half a piece of bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from oven and spread honey on each piece.
- Return to oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until bacon is done (but not crispy).