It’s Fridaaaaay! I love weekend breakfasts; everyone has a little more time to spare so the morning meal can be as big as you want it to be. Today, I made some yummy blueberry banana stuffed french toast with a generous side of bacon. It’s nearing lunch time as I write this, and I’m still full.
To begin, mix the cream cheese and honey together. It’s okay if you have some lumps; everything will melt together when it cooks.
Spread some of the cream cheese mixture onto two slices of bread. Layer banana and blueberries onto one of the slices, and then press the bread slices together with the fruit and cream cheese sandwiched between. You should have 4 sandwiches.
Next, combine your eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Set up a plate next to the egg bowl and pour the sugar and cinnamon onto this plate. Mix together gently and then spread flat over the plate’s surface.
One at a time, carefully and gently dip both sides of the french toast “sandwiches” into the egg mixture, and then directly into the cinnamon mixture. Try not to let the bread get too soggy during the egg dipping.
Heat a pan with 1-2 tablespoons of oil on medium high. Cook each french toast until crispy–about 3 minutes per side. While cooking the first side, use a rubber spatula to press down and “crimp” the edges of each sandwich. This will seal in the filling and keep it from spilling out when you flip the toast.
Voila! A delicious breakfast that you can even pretend is healthy if you just pile on more fruit 😉
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 banana
- 2 ounces blueberries
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine cream cheese and honey. Spread mixture onto each slice of bread (one side only).
- Layer fruit onto half of the bread slices and then top with an empty slice of bread.
- Mix eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. On a plate next to the egg bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon and spread flat.
- One at a time, carefully dip the “sandwiches” into the egg mixture (both sides) and then into the cinnamon topping.
- Cook the french toast on medium high in a pan with 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Toast is ready when both sides are crispy.